Friday 17 August 2012

Mind Boggling

It's funny how lying in bed at night, a million ideas for my next blog post fly into my head. The minute i start writing a post i'm lost for words :( Hmm, 

Anyway, the past few day's I've been carrying out some Eid preparation duties. But i found some room in between preparation to do something which i have been meaning to do for some time. As part of my first year workload at uni, I was supposed to do a presentation, no not on anything i wished but on LAW!? I am a curious reader about cultural taboos and drawn to issues surrounding domestic violence. So the topic i chose was based on a new legislation 'Suicide aggravated by Harassment or violence' the campaign to launch the legislation is in the hands of Southall Black Sisters. This is a womens group which help Asian women flee domestic violence and forced/arranged marriages. I shall now give you all some background info....So SBS's campaign was at the center of my presentation. The reason for them launching the campaign was due to the unfortunate events which led Nosheen Azam, a newly married 23 year old to burn herself alive. Nosheen's suicide bid was unsuccessful, but today she lies in a hospital bed with 60% burns and is brain dead. Her father describes her as 'a living corpse'. Therefore, i integrated my curiosity of cultural taboos with Law. Yup, it can be done. 

Sooo, that was my topic for my presentation. You can e-mail me for more info, if interested :) My mum suggested around the time of my presentation to get in touch with SBS and highlight some of the issues which arise with the proposed legislation, which i presented. So today i decided to take the plunge and contact them. They ave sent me a confirmation e-mail for my inquiry and will soon be in touch. I plan on e-mailing them the notes which i used for my presentation. :) Hopefully i will be of help to them in some form and hope they continue their hard work and dedication to help women.

British weather can't be trusted, it's mid August but we're still running though phases of extreme sunshine and horrendous rain showers!?! It has also just dawned on me that i have like a month until uni starts. It's a case of mixed emotions - I'm happy to be going back, but dread the workload of second year. I am also planning on going back to the library after Ramadan and Eid and start my reading for uni.

I will hopefully update you all with a Eid post, preferably some photo's of who wore what! But this will probably be after Sunday now guys. Until then I shall continue with 'taking a hiatus' :) x

P.s As you probably noticed, I have yet again changed the blog layout. This was because i am getting bored with the polka dots :( Fingers crossed the new layout and design are staying put x

No comments:

Post a Comment